Monday, June 10, 2013

One Year Out: Perhaps an overdue update

Clearly, my last post left little closure to those who have happened upon my blog. I remember having a slow internet connection requiring me to put my blog on pause for the final week. The last week of my stay in Migori was a whirlwind: trying to get into the main theater to see as many surgeries as possible, making sure I wrapped up all loose ends in town and with packing, and relishing my last days in a completely foreign culture. Joshua drove me to Nairobi the day before my flight. He showed me around, I ate pizza for the first time in a month (no one ever told me cheese was so difficult to come by in Kenya! Understandably so...), and absorbed the more-familiar city lights of the country's capital. Flying home was bittersweet for I was anxious to reunite with my family but very aware that I would not be returning to my family in Kenya for a very, very long time.

It has been an entire year later and my anklet, one that I purchased during my safari in Masai Mara, serves as a daily reminder of the incredible journey I experienced in Kenya. I saw beauty and compassion in a way I had never seen before. I gained invaluable medical experience and met unbelievable people. It is so difficult not to sound cheesy when I reflect on my time there but it was truly moving.

To those from Kenya, my dearest family in Africa, I will be back. I promise.





One of the nurses from the hospital. She had been working there since the hospital first opened!





Guess who got a braided weave?!







Single mother of 9 adopted children. One of the most inspiration women I have ever met. And! She was able to cook Indian food!








Morning of my flight. This was my newest friend, Rosepauline. She was beautiful. 





Medics to Africa
June - July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment