Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I leave for Amsterdam in 24 hrs

I probably spent too much time trying to pick the right font and font colors for this. It's just another way I can procrastinate from the nerve-wrecking experience that is packing for a trip to Africa.

Usually when I go on trips, especially ones to other continents, I travel with the comfort of knowing that my family is just an arms-length away. I'm going to Migori, Kenya to work at a St. Joseph's Mission Hospital for 3 weeks, followed by a week on a safari tour of the Serengeti. Admittedly, it's much easier to type these words than it is to fully realize them. I don't think reality will settle in until my first day at the hospital in Africa, in all honesty.

I'm keeping this blog for a number of reasons. First, I want to have a record of my experiences there in Africa. Pictures will, hopefully, be posted regularly so my readers can have a context of what I'm talking about (I suppose its a bit bold of me to assume that I'll have readers...). Second, maintaining a blog will help me keep track of how I change over my stay. I suspect that this trip will be "life-changing" and will "probably change me forever", so I want to monitor those changes over time. I still haven't packed yet. This blog will also be used to keep my friends and family back home in the loop -- I think it will help my parents sleep at night if they are able to check on me daily, even if it has to be through the interface of a blog.

When I arrive in Amsterdam, I have a 14 hour layover. My dad, the mastermind behind this trip, has scheduled a city tour for me, which I am quite excited for. I guess I'll talk about that more when it happens. Also, sidebar: I will not be quite as punctual as my entries continue. I feel a first-post-ever-on-the-internet obligation to be a bit formal in my first post. But I digress.

I'll miss everyone terribly and I will undoubtedly change in the next few weeks. But those changes won't hurt me -- they will make me stronger and wiser.

In the meantime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpeEdMmmQ0

2 comments:

  1. no comments yet...well i'm excited for you, even though we haven't talked in a few years. i thought we were friends, but i guess you didn't care enough. i'm over it now, but it hurt at the beginning. glad you are still keeping it together. i loved you, love you, and will always love you. take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, i guess you don't have a place to stay for lollapalooza

      Delete