Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 2: Pediatrics Ward


I went to the Pediatric ward today. It is one thing to have to watch adults suffer from burns and cuts. But it is entirely different watch a child endure the pain of malaria or typhoid or pneumonia or all three at once. One of the hardest sights of the day was seeing a child with a severe sickle cell anemia and she cannot respond to touch or pain. The doctor would push the 3 yr old around the hospital bed and it would not react. The mother was sobbing on the edge of the bed because the baby hadn’t cried in 3 days and she didn’t understand why. It was heart-wrenching to watch the doctors simply prescribe a general set of medications and walk away. I actually had to swat away a fly that was flying around the infant’s mouth because the infant remained lifeless and lacked reaction.

Most of the children were malaria and typhoid patients; however, on a more uplifting note, I met Alfred. He is an 8 month old child who just recovered from malaria and it was so inspirational to be with him. Some of the children, despite their age, are so strong and beat the worst odds. Also on the positive, I now know how to properly discharge a patient and write prescriptions. I’ve worked with a couple of doctors since I’ve come: Dr. Atunga, Dr. Mbongo, and Dr. Josiah. Cool names, just thought I’d throw them out there.

 Dr. Mbongo and I. I had to play with the brightness settings in order to properly even see him. Consequently, I look a bit doe-eyed.



Some shops just outside our living quarters. 









Later on today, I will be going back to the hospital to check out some labs – looking at various diseases under the microscope. I’m exciting to see and be able to identify various illnesses on a microscopic level. As usual, updates to come.

PS, there is some superstition in Migori against left-handed people. When some nurses saw me write with my left hand, they were so fascinated. “You can write with your right hand too, right?” and they were shocked when I shook my head “no”. CULTURECULTURECULTURE. Also, our cooks are making chipatis for dinner—these are an Indian flatbread (the Indian population in Kenya is about 20% of the total population).

1 comment:

  1. in the olden days, "sinister" referred to left. obviously bad connotations ensue, and thus, superstitions. like when my grandma was in catholic school and the nuns tried to make the left-handed write with their right hand. no one told them rulers to knuckles aren't exactly learning tools. but i doubt you're getting any of that.

    and this has been a very long comment about one word. yay english majors yeaaah!

    ReplyDelete