Monday, June 4, 2012

First Day at Work: Broken System



I woke up at 6:45 AM after a night of restless sleep. I was filled with nervous thoughts of my first day at work. What could I expect? Amputations? Intense surgeries? Was medicine even right for me?
Having taken a nice cold shower the night before, I got out of bed and slipped into my Medic to Africa tshirt and a nerdy pair of cargo pants (no offense to anyone who genuinely wears cargo pants). I had a delicious omelet (yes, we do have African cooks who make the most delicious and flavorful foods. Marya, I don’t even have to add a grain of salt! It’s all properly salted!). The mistake I made was having two cups of coffee.

We walked over to the hospital at 7:55 AM and met with 3 physician assistants (PAs) in a room before the doctor walked in. I was a little thrown off by how pretentious these Portland, OR-based Pas were but I then realized two things: 1) they were from Portland, OR and 2) this is the medical world. Obviously, the medical profession is centered on helping others for the betterment of humankind but the process of becoming a physician is rather dog-eat-dog. Anyway, these couldn’t distract me from my first day at work at the St. Joseph’s Mission Hospital.

 CHEESY FIRST-DAY-AT-WORK PICTURE
 its sideways but honestly, the upload time is preventing me from doing anything about it














 
The doctor walked in around 8:15 AM and gave us all a brief on the patients who had died over the weekend. Having worked in the medical environment previously, I was well aware of the element of detachment necessary for medicine. Compassion is a principle characteristic of a doctor but it is integral to understand that death is natural. From death comes life – which is why it was befitting for me to spend my first day in the maternity ward.

In the maternity ward, I saw about 7 patients, one of which was only 11 or 12 years old (having her first child). All of the women had c-sections and the doctor detailed as to what conditions called for a c-section cut down the center of the stomach or horizontally over the uterus. We even say a woman, who had already delivered, have a midline c-section which was infected; therefore it looked like she was still pregnant because of the excessive inflammation. The doctor squeezed her stitched and bright yellow pus came out of her stitching. 

Following rounds in the maternity ward, we went to the surgical ward and it was in this ward that something terrifying happened. We were looking at the wounds of various patients – mostly gangrene patients but also women who fell into fires (GB, yes… even more people falling into fires). One of the patients had a skin disorder in which it looked like coral was growing on his feet. What I didn’t notice was that the windows were all closed in the patient room therefore there was no draft. The combination of the lack of air flow and the dehydrating effects of the tea starting caused me to feel light-headed. The room began spinning, my body temperature spiked, and the exposure on my vision was turned up extremely high. The other Medics to Africa students noticed that I started becoming pale and they quickly caught me as I was beginning to faint. They took me to a bench nearby and gave me some water. I had never experienced anything like that before and I am so thankful to have had my coworkers nearby. 

We came back to the house around lunchtime and I found myself just drained from the day. Between patients, I learned that there were many flaws in the African healthcare system. For example, I noticed that many women had to endure spinal taps as their form of anesthesia for their c-sections. Using general anesthesia would have required an oxygen tank that the hospital could not afford. Furthermore, patients come to St. Joseph’s from other hospitals. Sometimes, the doctors from other hospitals misinform St. Joseph’s on the patient’s condition so the patients can be admitted (to “take the burden” off themselves). Consequently, because of the misinformation, the doctors at St. Joseph’s are not even aware on how to properly diagnose the patient. The system is broken.

My apologies for the obscenely long post but my first day was rather eventful. I’m excited and anxious to see what else is in store for me.

2 comments:

  1. It's awesome they are already having you working in the hospital on your second day there. I'm interested to see if you are leaning more toward still being part of the health care system or trying to fix the problems involved with it. Nonetheless you are saving lives, how cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i definitely shouldn't have read that while eating.

    btdubs you look supes cute as shelly the ultra-nerd.

    ReplyDelete